The BEST Hot Chocolate Recipe with Cocoa Powder to warm you up from the cold of winter. Rich and decadent and topped with whipped cream and mini marshmallows. Only six ingredients needed.
There’s nothing better then getting cosy with a homemade hot cocoa on a cold night.
Did you know that you can make delicious hot chocolate just with cocoa powder? This hot chocolate is made from cocoa powder, without hot chocolate powder. Yet it’s still super chocolatey and flavorful.
With just six basic ingredients, this recipe is easy to make, and so delicious! And you might already have all the ingredients on hand, so you can be fully prepared any time a hot chocolate craving hits.
A combination of cocoa powder and chocolate chips make this hot chocolate extra flavourful. The cocoa powder adds the distinct “hot cocoa” flavour, and the chocolate melts into the mixture making this drink extra creamy, rich and luxurious.
Although this if a bit more effort then adding hot chocolate powder to hot water, this is still an easy recipe and the results are worth it! Your mug of hot cocoa containing real chocolate with a rich chocolate flavor will not disappoint.
Hot Chocolate Recipe with Cocoa Powder Ingredients
- sugar – I use coconut sugar, white sugar or brown sugar also work well
- almond milk – coconut milk, oat milk, soy milk whole milk, will all work
- chocolate chips – can use normal plain chocolate broken up into chunks, I like to use dark chocolate but milk chocolate will also work
- cocoa powder – cacao powder also works (made from cacao beans)
- sugar – I like to use coconut sugar but any granulated sugar will work. Can also use maple syrup
- optional toppings – I love to use whipped cream and marshmallows, can also top with a chocolate flake or candy cane during the holidays
Healthy Hot Chocolate Variations
- Spice it up – add a pinch of cayenne for a little bit of heat and a homemade mexican hot chocolate
- Chocolate syrup – add a drizzle of chocolate syrup for extra indulgence
- Peppermint – add some peppermint extract
- On the go – pour your hot chocolate into a thermal airtight container and enjoy on the go
- Vanilla – add a splash of vanilla extract
Hot Chocolate Recipe with Cocoa Powder
- 1 cup dairy free milk
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 tbsp diary free chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- vegan whipped cream
- vegan mini marshmallows
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring almond milk to simmer.
- Whisk in sugar and cocoa powder to the hot milk and stir until no lumps remain.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cook, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is completely melted.
- Turn off heat.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs, then top with whipped cream and marshmallows if using, and enjoy!
You may also like:
I hope you enjoy this Hot Chocolate Recipe with Cocoa Powder. What are your favourite winter recipes? Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Love Hayley x