Red Lentil Tomato Dahl for a warming and filling dinner. Packed with protein, this is vegan and gluten free.
Spicy, warming and comforting, this tomato dhal makes a delicious high protein dinner.
Tomato Dahl Recipe Variations
This dahl with coconut milk and tomatoes can be adjusted depending on what you have in your cupboards
- Different lentils – you can also use brown lentils, green lentils, pigeon peas, yellow lentils, yellow split peas, any split pulses will work
- Spices – mixes up your spices, whether garam masala, fresh curry leaves or mustard seeds, customise to your taste. A squeeze of lemon juice would also be delicious
- Mix up the veg – instead of courgette add whatever veg you have at home sweet potato would work well
- Serve – serve your tomato dal with white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice, naan bread or flatbreads
Yes this tomato dahl freezes really well! I
Yes. This is one of those dishes that tastes better when made the day before as the flavors get more intense. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 4 days.
This tomato dhal is pretty mild and not too hot. You can adjust the chilli to your taste and use a mild curry powder.
Red Lentil Tomato Dahl
- 1 cup red lentils soaked previously
- 1 small courgette
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 red sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 lime
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- pinch red chilies flakes
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- pinch sea salt
- Cut all the tomatoes (keep the cherry tomatoes on a side until later in the recipe) zucchini, onion and chop half of the herbs.
- In a large saucepan add the coconut oil, the chopped vegetables, chopped herbs the spices and the salt. Stir with a wooden spoon and let it cook on medium heat for a couple of minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Now add the lentils (previously soaked and rinsed), the water and the coconut milk. Let it cook in medium heat for 25-30 minutes, stirring from time to time (If you need some extra water, add during the cooking process).
- Add the cherry tomatoes the last 8-5 minutes of the cooking. Once ready, let it sit for a bit while you are making the cashew cream.
- To make the cashew cream, mix all the ingredients in your blender until you get a creamy consistency (add some spoons of water if needed).
- Garnish cooked dal with some fresh herbs, almonds, cashew cream and some slices of lime.
More nutritious meals recipes:
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
Cheese Free Vegan Alfredo Sauce
I hope you this Red Lentil Tomato Dahl recipe.
What are your favourite healthy dinner recipes? Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Love Hayley x
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | YouTube
Sunday 16th of February 2020
That looks amazing