Classic Oat and Date Crumble Square. With an oaty base, sweet date filling and crumbly topping… it doesn’t get much better than this! Vegan and gluten free
This delicious vegan date squares recipe is so easy and quick to make. With an oat base, filled with a thick layer of deliciously sweet dates and topped with simple oat flour crumble, these squares are sure to satisfy!
The oat crumble is pressed to the bottom of the pan to create a solid crust but the top layer is only lightly pressed and left crumbly, for a delicious texture.
Date Crumble Squares
- 150 g pitted dates
- 125 ml cold water
- 150 g buckwheat flour
- 100 g rolled porridge oats (gluten free if needed)
- 100 g coconut sugar (any sugar will work)
- 125 g dairy free butter (softened)
- Preheat your oven to 200⁰C/Fan 180⁰C/Gas Mark 6 then lightly grease and line the baseof a 20cm square tin.
- Chop the dates up into pieces then place into a pan with the water. Cook over a low heat for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- In a bowl, mix the buckwheat flour, oats and sugar together and then rub in the butter to make a crumbly texture. Spoon half the mix over the base of the tin then press down firmly.
- Spread the softened dates out evenly over the top of the pressed base, then top with the remaining oat mix pressing down lightly whilst retaining a crumbly top.
- Bake in the centre of your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave in the tin until completely cooled then cut into 12 slices, serve and enjoy!
My other healthy vegan crumble recipes:
I hope you enjoy this Date Crumble Square recipe
Love Hayley x