Classic Gluten Free Date Square. With an oaty base, sweet date filling and crumbly topping… it doesn’t get much better than this! Vegan and gluten free.
This delicious Gluten Free Date Squares recipe is so easy and quick to make. With an oat base, filled with a thick layer of deliciously sweet dates and topped with simple oat flour crumble, these squares are sure to satisfy!
The oat crumble is pressed to the bottom of the pan to create a solid crust but the top layer is only lightly pressed and left crumbly, for a delicious texture.
Gluten free date bars are pretty old school and you may have seen in coffee shops, at a bake sale or at a grocery store.
These date squares are made gluten free through using buckwheat flour and gluten free oats. They are also dairy free, vegan and contain no refined sugar. Made only from wholesome ingredients.
Sweetened by the natural sweetness from dates and coconut palm sugar, this sweet treat can be enjoyed by your whole family.
Gluten Free Date Square Ingredients
To make these vegan date squares you will need the following simple ingredients.
- Pitted Dates – I use medjool dates, but any will work. You can find this in the nuts and seeds section of your grocery store
- Buckwheat flour – can sub for all purpose flour, white flour or a gluten free flour blend
- Gluten Free Oats – rolled oats or quick oats will both work
- Coconut sugar – you can use any granulated sugar, brown sugar will work really well. If you use a liquid sweetener such as maple syrup you will need to use more oats.
- Vegan Butter – any butter will work can also use solid coconut oil that is not melted.
My other healthy vegan crumble recipes:
How to make Gluten Free Date Squares
Preheat your oven to 200⁰C/Fan 180⁰C/Gas
Mark 6 then lightly grease or prepare a 20cm square tin with parchment paper.
Chop the dates up into pieces then place into a pan with the water.
Cook over a low heat for 3-5 minutes until softened.
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together – buckwheat flour, oats and sugar. Rub in the butter to the flour mixture to make a crumbly texture.
Spoon half the mix over the base of the baking dish then press down firmly to create an even layer.
Spread the cooled date mixture out evenly over the top of the pressed base. Then top with the remaining crumble pressing down lightly over the date layer whilst retaining a crumbly top.
Place your baking pan in the centre of your preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
Leave in the tin until completely cooled then cut into 12 slices, serve and enjoy!
How to store gluten free date squares with oat flour
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to one week.
Looking for more dairy and gluten free recipes? Check out the best gluten free dairy free cookbooks.
More healthy dessert recipes
Gluten Free Date Squares
- 150 g pitted dates
- 150 g buckwheat flour
- 100 g rolled porridge oats (gluten free if needed)
- 100 g coconut sugar (any sugar will work)
- 125 g dairy free butter (softened)
- Preheat your oven to 200⁰C/Fan 180⁰C/Gas Mark 6 then lightly grease and line the baseof a 20cm square tin.
- Chop the dates up into pieces then place into a pan with the water. Cook over a low heat for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- In a bowl, mix the buckwheat flour, oats and sugar together and then rub in the butter to make a crumbly texture. Spoon half the mix over the base of the tin then press down firmly.
- Spread the softened dates out evenly over the top of the pressed base, then top with the remaining oat mix pressing down lightly whilst retaining a crumbly top.
- Bake in the centre of your preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave in the tin until completely cooled then cut into 12 slices, serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this Gluten Free Date Squares recipe. If you are following a gluten free diet then these are perfect for you.
Love Hayley x