Rhubarb crumble has always been one of my favourite dessert! So I decided to do my own take and create a healthy rhubarb crumble recipe that was vegan, gluten free and containing no refined sugar.
The rhubarb is cooked until sticky and tender topped with a sweet oat crisp. Skipping on the butter, sugar and wheat flour this healthy rhubarb crumble recipe can be enjoyed guilt free without feeling heavy and bloated afterwards!
Sweetened only with maple syrup with oats, flour and coconut oil forming the crumble. This doesn’t compromise on taste or texture, it tastes just like the real deal.
The ultimate perfect dessert. Amazing served warm with some coconut yoghurt or ice cream.
I feel like everyone loves a healthy rhubarb and apple crumble with oats so this delicious dessert is great for entertaining. Especially as it can be made the day before.
This Healthy rhubarb crumble recipe is delicious served hot or cold especially with a helping of custard, ice cream or yoghurt.
Health Benefits of Rhubarb
- Rhubarb is high in antioxidants which is good for heart health and protects you from free radicals. It will also help brighten your skin and keep it smooth and glowing.
- Rhubarb is also a good source of vitamin C that helps boost immunity and increases the absorption of iron.
- Rhubarb also stimulates the growth of good bacteria in the digestive system.
- The stalk contains anthocyanins, which gives the deep, red colour. This can help fight imflammation.
Why you will love this Rhubarb Crumble Recipe Because:
- Its easy and quick to make all you need is a few simple ingredients a mixing bowl and baking dish
- It’s so delicious
- Only a few simple ingredients needed
- This healthy rhubarb crumble is just as good as traditional recipes
- The combination of sweet apples and tart rhubarb is to die for!
- This gluten free rhubarb crumble recipe is easily adaptable and can be made with frozen fruit if needed, or any fresh fruit you have on hand like berries, peaches or pears.
- This recipe is much healthier then traditional rhubarb crumbles
What you need to make healthy Rhubarb crumble:
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Lemon juice
How to make healthy Rhubarb Crumble:
- First we preheat our oven to 200°C
Then chop the rhubarb into 2cm pieces and place them in a saucepan along with the chopped apples, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Cook gently until the rhubarb is soft, this will take around 15-20 minutes.
Mix the crumble ingredients together by rubbing them together with your fingertips until a crumble mixture forms.
When the rhubarb is ready transfer to a baking dish and top with the crumble mixture.
Cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
More healthy sweet treats recipes:
Take a look at these healthy recipes.
Chocolate Coconut Protein Balls
4 Ingredient Tahini Sesame Cookies
How to store Vegan Rhubarb Crumble
Other healthy crumble recipes you may enjoy:
If you like this low sugar rhubarb crumble then you will love these fruit crumble recipes.
Healthy Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
For the Rhubarb Filling
- 1 bunch 400g/14 oz rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into chunks
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 apples chopped
For the crumble
- 1 cup flour (I used buckwheat)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup jumbo oat flakes (gluten free)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Chop the rhubarb into 2cm pieces and place the chopped rhubarb in a saucepan with the chopped apples, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Cook gently until the rhubarb softens, around 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl. Mix the ingredients for the oat crumble together rubbing them together with your fingertips until a crumble mixture forms.
- Once the rhubarb mixture is ready transfer to an oven proof dish and top with the oat mixture.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown
I hope you enjoy this healthy rhubarb crumble recipe!
Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Love Hayley x
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | YouTube