Only one bowl and 8 simple ingredients are needed to make these healthy blueberry scones. Filled with juicy blueberries, they are ready in only 30 minutes!
What’s better then homemade scones with a cup of coffee or a cup of tea.
This recipe for easy blueberry scones is something you can make early in the week, to have to snack on. Or it is a great recipe to make for friends coming over for brunch or for your family at breakfast.
They are really easy to make and much better for you then traditional scones without any heavy cream needed. This recipe is vegan + gluten free.
Healthy blueberry Scone Recipe Ingredients
- flax egg – normal egg or chia egg will also work
- almond milk – any plant based milk such as oat milk or cows milk will work
- buckwheat flour – white whole wheat flour, a gluten-free flour blend or all purpose flour will work
- baking powder
- coconut sugar – brown sugar or any other granulated sugar will also work
- chilled coconut oil – vegan butter or normal cold butter will also work, coconut oil must be chilled first as it will melt at room temperature
- frozen blueberries – fresh blueberries will also work
- Zest – add some orange zest or lemon zest or some lemon juice to make
- Add ins – any fruit will work in place of the blueberries, or add some chocolate chips
- Glaze – add a lemon glaze for a delicious lemon blueberry scone
- Vanilla – add some vanilla extract for extra flavor
- Flour – Swap out half of the flour for almond flour to add more protein
EASY BLUEBERRY SCONES
If you’ve never made scones before, you may think they are really hard to make. However they are actually really easy.
Mix the ingredients together until a soft dough forms. Roll into a circle and slice into scones and make.
More healthy scones
Healthy Blueberry Scones
- 1 flax egg
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar plus more for topping
- 6 tbsp chilled coconut oil
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400f/200c degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well
- Add the chilled coconut oil and cut into the dry ingredients. I used a fork to do this, can also use a pastry cutter or use your hands to rub it together
- Stir in the wet ingredients - milk and egg and gently mix (not too rough)
- Gently fold in the blueberries
- Knead the dough a few times then add to a floured surface and roll out into 1 inch thick circle
- Slice into 8 scones and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Store your scones in an airtight container for 3-4 days. They also freeze well. Store in a freezer bag and they will last up to three months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before enjoying.
My other healthy recipes:
I hope you enjoy this Healthy Blueberry Vegan Scones recipe
What are your favourite dessert recipes? Let me know in the comments.
Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Love Hayley x