Mocha Coffee Porridge. Add a hit of caffeine and chocolate to your morning oats.
Porridge is always my go to breakfast, it only takes a few minutes to make, it’s very filling and it’s pretty foolproof. I love how you can experiment with toppings and flavours depending on what you’re craving.
To make this mocha coffee porridge, you will need oats, chia seeds, freshly brewed coffee, cocoa powder, almond milk and maple syrup.
You will want to make you coffee first then use the coffee just like you would water when making porridge.
We added some chia seeds to help the oatmeal be a little more filling and to add healthy fats, vitamins and minerals.
You know that coffee has some amazing antioxidant properties, as does cocoa powder. So this breakfast is actually a great way to start your day!
Try your morning cup of coffee in a delicious breakfast form.
Can I put coffee in my porridge?
Is coffee and oats a good combination?
Yes it tastes delicious together. If your bored of your normal porridge toppings, definitely give this a try.
Mocha Porridge Substitutions
- You can sub the almond milk for any plant based milk such as oat milk, coconut milk or soy milk, cow’s milk works too if you don’t need this recipe to be vegan.
- I love using pure maple syrup in this mocha porridge recipe as it adds a lovely caramel flavour. Any liquid sweetener will work though. You can also use a touch of vanilla extract for extra flavor and a
vanilla latte taste.
- You can make this without the chia seeds but will need to use less liquid, you can also sub the chia seeds for flax seeds.
- I use coffee powder to make the coffee for this recipe and give it the coffee flavor, coffee beans will work or you can use cold brew coffee. You can use a shot of espresso but will need to use more water
- I use quick oats, steel-cut oats are also a great option for this recipe.
- You can use cacao powder in place of the cocoa
Mocha Coffee Serving Suggestions and Variations
- Protein Powder – use 1 tbsp of protein powder and 3 tbsp more water to give your healthy breakfast a protein hit
- Over night oats – add all your ingredient plus extra milk to a bowl or mason jar, stir and place in the fridge overnight for creamy coffee overnight oats
- Toppings – sliced dates, greek yogurt, peanut butter,
sunflower seed butter, almond butter and fresh fruit all make delicious toppings to your coffee oats
Read next – 7 Oatmeal Recipes For Weight Loss
Mocha Coffee Porridge
- 1/2 cup oats (gluten free)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Add the oats and chia seeds to a sauce pan.
- Pour hot coffee over oats and stir. Let it sit 2 minutes.
- Put on a medium heat and add the cocoa powder, the cocoa powder, milk and sweetener and stir well.
- Cook until the oats are thick and creamy
- Enjoy with toppings of choice
My other healthy porridge recipes:
I hope you enjoy this Mocha Coffee Porridge Recipe.
If you liked this recipe you can tap/ hover over the image and pin it for later using the icon.
Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Love Hayley x
This post may contain affiliate links