This single-serving coffee cake mug cake recipe is a healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth in just one minute! Vegan, gluten free and no refined sugar.
I’m all about quick, easy and healthy single-serving dessert. Mug cakes are one of my favourites quick and easy desserts to make. Perfect for when a sugar craving hits but you do not have the hassle of making an entire cake.
This mug cake is flavoured with coffee and warming cinnamon, so good! Try using cold brew coffee beans if you don’t want an overpowering coffee flavour. Simply grind the beans down into a powder.
You can see exactly how I made this mug cake and two other healthy mug cake recipes in the video below:
Why You’ll Love this Coffee Mug Cake
Who doesn’t love an airy fluffy cake? Especially one that’s full of rich coffee flavors, too. This microwave mug cake recipe is one of our favorite ways to treat ourselves when we’re in the mood for something sweet, but don’t want to make a whole cake. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also:
- Perfectly moist, soft, and fluffy
- Made with just a a few simple ingredients
- Rich in antioxidants
- Contains a healthy mix of protein, carbs and fats to keep you full and satisfied
- Ready in less than 2 minutes
- Perfect for portion control
So what is a Microwave Mug Cake?
So exactly what is a microwave mug cake? Just as the name suggests, this is a mug cake that is prepared in a mug and then baked in a mug.
They are single serving and super quick to make! The easiest way for a quick dessert fix. Mug recipes are so popular and save you so much time.
Coffee Mug Cake Ingredients
You only need the simple ingredients below to make this coffee mug cake recipe.
- Oat flour – can sub for all purpose flour or brown rice flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar – I used coconut sugar, brown sugar will also work well
- Chia egg – flax egg or normal egg will work
- Milk of choice – I use almond milk
- Coffee powder – can also use instant espresso powder
Delicious Coffee Cake Variations
- Chocolate chips – add some chocolate chips or cocoa powder to make a chocolate mug cake
- Streusel topping – mix some and cake batter before baking in the microwave for a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping
- Whipped cream – top with a bit of whipped cream for a more indulgent sweet treat
- Melted chocolate – add some melted chocolate on top to make a mocha mug cake
- Vanilla extract – add a teaspoon vanilla extract for added flavor
You will love these single-serve desserts – Mini Rhubarb Crumbles
How to Make Coffee Mug Cake
In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
In a separate small bowl, combine the wet ingredients and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
Pour the batter into a heat proof ramekin or microwavable mug and microwave for 1 minutes on a high power if not ready cook for up to 1 minute longer checking at 10 second increments. Be sure to keep a close eye as all microwaves are slightly different and will have different results. Cook until just set or else your mug cake will be dry
Mug Cake Baking Tips
Whilst this coffee mug cake recipe is already super easy to make. Here are some extra tips for best results and to ensure it turns out perfect every time.
Don’t Overbake! If you leave your coffee mug cake in the microwave for too long it will become dry and hard. Keep an eye on your mug cake while cooking, and cook just until your mug cake batter is set.
Use the Right Sized Mug. Most mugs or small ramekin conventional coffee mugs will work perfectly. Be sure to leave an extra two inches from the top of the batter as the cake will expand as it cooks. Also ensure your mug is labeled microwave-safe.
This coffee mug cake recipe is best served fresh and warm! It tastes amazing on it’s own or you could also serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, sprinkles, or fresh fruit!
Can I prepare this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, this coffee mug cake can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for up to one day. Simply reheat when ready to serve, be sure not to over heat as it will become dry.
My other healthy mug cake recipes:
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Blueberry Banana Bread Mug Cake
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
Coconut Flour Peanut Butter Mug Cake
Coffee Mug Cake
- 2 1/2 tbsp oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice adjust to desired sweetness (I used coconut)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 chia egg (normal egg will work)
- 2 tbsp milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1 tsp coffee powder
- In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the wet ingredients and whisk lightly. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a heat proof ramekin or mug and microwave for 1-2 minutes on a high heat, or until cooked through. Be sure to keep a close eye as all microwaves are slightly different. Cook until just set or else your mug cake will be dry
I hope you enjoy this Coffee Mug Cake mug cake recipe.
Have you tried to make a mug cake before? What’s your favourite quick dessert?
Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Bloglovin | YouTube
This post may contain affiliate links.