No Bake Chocolate Orange Protein Energy Balls Recipe for a delicious energising snack
If you have been following my blog for a while you will know that I have been loving making energy balls each week so that I have something healthy on hand when I get hungry between meals.
I always like something sweet each week and it really helps to prevent me from reaching for unhealthy sugary snacks. Obviously it is completely fine to treat yourself from time to time and I am a strong believer in the 80:20 rule. However having a healthy option ready really helps me stay on track.
These ones are chocolate orange flavoured and only contain five simple ingredients. Chocolate orange are one of my favourite all time favourite flavour combinations and these energy balls taste just as good as any dessert.
Have you entered my giveaway yet? I am giving away an Evolve Organic Beauty Defence Moisture Mist.
My other healthy Energy Ball Recipes:
Why you will love Chocolate Orange Protein Balls
- These healthy energy balls taste so decadent, yet they are packed full of nutritious ingredients.
- Healthy protein balls contains protein, healthy fats, and fibre. It’s incredible just how much goodness fits inside one little power ball!
- They are quick and easy to make (only five ingredients), and are much cheaper than shop bought energy balls
- No baking required, they are great for meal prep
- Makes an amazing post or pre workout snack
Chocolate Orange Protein Energy Balls Ingredients
These no sugar chocolate orange energy balls are sweetened with agave syrup. Here’s the five simple ingredients you will need:
- Nut butter
- Agave syrup
- Cocoa powder or cacao powder
- Protein powder
- 1 Orange
How to make Chocolate Orange Balls?
These chocolate orange balls couldn’t be easier to make, they quickly come together with no baking and only one bowl!
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together
- Depending on your protein powder you may need to add more liquid if the mixture seems dry.
- Roll the mixture into balls using your hands and repeat until you have used up all the mixture.
Can I use Chocolate Orange Protein Powder?
I use plain pea protein powder, however any protein powder will work. You may need more or less liquid depending on what you use.
I think chocolate orange protein powder would work well in this recipe. If your protein powder is sweetened then you many need to use less agave. If the flavour is too rich using a chocolate orange protein powder then I would suggest using less, cocoa powder, orange zest and juice.
Chocolate Orange Protein Energy Balls Substitutions
Chocolate orange energy bites can be adjusted depending on what you have at home.
As above you can use your favourite protein powder and adjust the liquid you use accordingly.
The agave can be subbed for any liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or honey. The cashew butter can be subbed for any nut butter such as peanut or almond butter.
What is an Energy Ball?
An energy ball is made from a combination of dried fruit, nut butter, seeds, oats and other ingredient add-ins that offer a densely nutritious snack in a little ball. They are good for you but taste just like dessert!
Do they taste like Cacao and Orange Protein Balls from Lidl?
Yes they these orange chocolate orange balls taste really similar to the cacao and orange protein balls from Lidl. It works out much more cost effective to make your own though!
Chocolate Orange Protein Energy Balls
- 1/2 cup natural cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup (any liquid sweetener will work)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed all-natural protein powder
- zest and juice of 1 small orange
- 1 tbsp cacao
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix until fully combined
- Protein powders vary in terms of their dryness. So if the mixture seems too wet, add a bit more protein powder. If the mixture seems too dry, add some water, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Roll into balls using hands
- Place in a container to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- Keep them stored in the fridge as they will become soft at room temperature.
I hope you enjoy this No Bake Chocolate Orange Protein Energy Balls Recipe
Follow me on Social Media to stay updated
Love Hayley X