Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, for a healthy and delicious dessert! Gluten free and paleo.
Delicious and healthy lemon poppy seed muffins that are perfect for summer. Absolutely obsessed with this recipe and these lemon poppy seed muffins soon became my new favourite. You can watch how I made these on my Youtube Video below.
They are really easy to make too, with just seven ingredients needed. Just mix all the ingredients together, transfer to your muffin tray, bake and you’re done.
I think they make a perfect little snack or after dinner dessert. We use coconut flour to make these gluten free lemon poppy seed muffins.
They have the best fluffy texture, filled with crunchy poppy seeds and fresh lemon flavor.
Why you will love these healthy lemon poppy seed muffins:
- Quick and easy to make
- Perfectly lemony and zesty
- Only 9 simple ingredients needed
- No refined sugar
- Gluten free
Love lemon desserts try these:
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins Ingredients
To make these perfect lemon poppy seed muffins you need the following ingredients-
- eggs – can sub for chia seeds eggs or flax eggs
- coconut flour – I don’t recommend subbing this for other flours such as purpose flour, oat flour, almond flour or white whole wheat flour as coconut flour is really absorbent and hard to sub
- poppy seeds –
- coconut oil – can sub for melted butter, room temperature or cooled will not work, need to be melted
- honey – can sub for maple syrup of agave
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh lemon zest
- almond milk – any non-dairy milk or cows milk will work
Optional Add ins
- vanilla extract – add 1 tsp of vanilla extract for extra flavor
- almond extract – if you love almond flavor add 1 tsp
- lemon extract – love bright lemon flavor? add some lemon extract for extra zing
- simple lemon glaze – top your lemon muffins with a lemon glaze by mixing together – 1 cup powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice, zest of 1 lemon and 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
Health Benefits of Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Poppy seeds -Supply a dose of the minerals iodine, manganese, zinc, magnesium and copper.
Lemon – many nourishing elements like vitamin C, vitamin B6, vitamin A, vitamin E, folate, niacin thiamin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, copper, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and phosphorus
Coconut flour – high in fibre, protein, and healthy fats
You can use flax eggs and maple syrup to make vegan lemon poppy seed muffins
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin Recipe
Full recipe details in the recipe card at the end of this post
Preheat oven to 325 f/160c
- Grease a muffin pan or line with muffin liners
In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, baking soda, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
In a large bowl combine the lemon juice, coconut oil, honey, almond milk, eggs. You can place the eggs in a bowl of warm tap water for a few minutes to help warm them up quickly. This will ensure that your muffin batter will be runny, and will easily mix and pour into the muffin cups. (Otherwise the coconut oil may harden and won’t mix evenly into the batter.)
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients.
Divide batter into your muffin tin and bake at 325f /160c for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely before enjoying.
- Store leftover muffins in an airtight container
More healthy muffins recipes:
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 325 f/160c
- In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, baking soda, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl combine the lemon juice, coconut oil, honey, almond milk, eggs. You can place the eggs in a bowl of warm tap water for a few minutes to help warm them up quickly. This will ensure that your muffin batter will be runny, and will easily mix and pour into the muffin cups. (Otherwise the coconut oil may harden and won’t mix evenly into the batter.)
- Combine the liquid mixture with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into muffins tins and bake at 325f/160c for 20 – 25 minutes.
coconut oil must be melted or the batter will be dry
If you love coconut flour try this coconut bread recipe.